By Lawrence Kumarasivan- Energy
When we thought things were looking down, Weeks 5 and 6 marked an uptick in our group’s fortunes.
In Week 4, when we went to the Physics and Astronomy Building to do a check-up on our sensors, we noticed that one of our three combination light/occupancy sensors were missing. This meant the $100 we had to pay for replacing it had to come out of our $450 allotted for our other project—the solar phone chargers. In Week 5, our team leader Sam Geldin got a call from the building manager saying he had located the third sensor, to which he immediately commented on our GroupMe, “The building manager has our sensor! Liz spend all our $.”
Leader Liz Mazmanian then was able to purchase the originally-planned 30 XTG Technology charger units. The plan then was to give away all 30 at Ecochella on Friday, May 1. When someone accepts our free charger, they take a pre-survey on the spot, and sign a contract that they will make themselves available to a post- survey in two weeks, which we then call them up and ask them about their experience with the device.
However, Liz was convinced at the April 30 Leader meeting that a portion of the chargers should be reserved for Leaders of other teams. This was because people within ESLP could be held more accountable to answering the post-survey, than complete strangers. So even if most of our charger recipients were uncooperative, we would at least have some guaranteed responses.
Since we were saving 14 out of the 30 for ESLP Leaders, that left 16 for us to give away at Ecochella. Now with our 30 sensors under possession of 30 lucky test subjects, we will find out a week from now how they’ve been liking it, and what aspects about the charger we could best push for in our proposal to have them adopted by the UCLA store.
With the success of this project, our energy audit project has been on the back burner. Our sensors have collected the data, but we cannot access it because the companion software has been malfunctioning ever since we had to switch computers. We have a meeting scheduled with our stakeholder this Friday. Once he helps us extract the data on the sensors, our problem-laden audit will finally come to a close.